Some people feel this way about green eggs and ham, I feel this way about truffles:
I like (anything with truffles in it)!
I do!! I like them, (Renee)-I-am!
And I would eat them in a boat!
And I would eat them with a goat…
And I will eat them in the rain.
And in the dark. And on a train.
And in a car. And in a tree.
They are so good so good you see!
So I will eat them in a box.
And I will eat them with a fox.
And I will eat them in a house.
And I will eat them with a mouse.
And I will eat them here and there.
Say! I will eat them ANYWHERE!”
Sad, but very true in my case. And you would not believe how delighted I was when I had the chance to eat a bowl of vegan truffle mushroom soup while at one of my favorite little dining spots in Aspen. It was literally out of this world. (Random side note: speaking of that 90’s TV show, when I went off to college, everyone in my dorm thought I looked just like Evie. Don’t worry, I didn’t see the resemblance either).
So, back to my dining experience, I begged the waitress for the recipe and it is lucky for you that I speak the “vegan-recipe-language” and was able to recreate it at home. Of course, I had to google for recipes (like this one here) to help round out the ingredients that the waitress fired off to me. So, without further ado, I present this delicious soup. It is rich, creamy and best enjoyed in small doses (so you have more for later).
Creamy Truffle Mushroom Soup
- 2 ½ baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups vegetable broth/stock
- 1 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried majoram
- 1-2 tbsp truffle oil
- Place cashews in a bowl of water and leave to soak overnight or at least 4 hours.
- In a large pot, sauté the mushrooms, onion and garlic in olive oil for 10 minutes, until onions are translucent. (Sprinkle mushrooms with salt)
- Reduce heat to medium low and add 2 cups of the vegetable broth and dried herbs. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Drain and rinse cashews and add them to a blender with half a cup of water. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add the simmered mushroom combination to the cashew cream in the blender. Blend all the ingredients together until smooth.
- Add in a cup of vegetable broth (or water if the soup is salty to taste) to thin out the soup and the truffle oil. Blend until mixed.
- Pour soup from blender in bowl. Serve with truffle oil drizzled and thyme sprinkled on top. Enjoy!
From the original recipe: “Guaranteed to bring all the boys to your yard.”
I can’t disagree.