Beet and Citrus Salad with Pomegranate Seeds & Pepitas
Ingredients for the salad:
- 3 medium/large red beets
- 3 medium/large golden beets
- 1 grapefruit (Ruby suggested)
- ¼ cup of Pepitas
- ¼ cup of Pomegranate Seeds
Ingredients for the dressing (adapted from Oh She Glows)
- 1/2 cup avocado flesh
- 1/4 cup coconut cream (the cream from the top of the can)
- 5 tbsp fresh lime juice, or to taste
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp grapefruit juice (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Trim both ends of each beet and wash well. Place a few beets on a large piece of tin foil. Drizzle with oil and wrap up. Do the same for the other 3 beets on another sheet of foil. Place in oven and roast for 45-75 minutes, until a fork pricks through fairly easy. Remove from oven.
- Once the beets are cooled (5-10 minutes), peel off the skin and slice beets into wedges.
- De-pith and slice grapefruit into segments and set aside. Reserve the scraps of juicy flesh as you can use this to squeeze into your dressing.
- Blend the dressing ingredients together in a food processor. Adjust seasonings to taste, adding more sweetener, juice, or salt if desired.
- To assemble, coat arugula with dressing and place on a plate. Top with beets, citrus segments, pomegranate seeds, and pepitas. Yield: 4 servings.
An alternate way to serve this dish, is as a crostini. Utilizing ingredients above plus sliced toasted baguette:
- Spread the avocado cream sauce onto each toasted baguette slice.
- Top baguette with arugula (pressing it into the sauce to secure it), cubed beets, grapefruit segments and pomegranate seeds. Sprinkle pepitas on top.
- Serve with a smile.
Pair with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc.